Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Last Week in March

What I did:
 2nd and 3rd week:
     Dug out 3 non-productive Concords.  Will replace them with Frontenac Gris.
     Trimmed the vines over 3 day period.  Severely cut back the Niagaras and Moore's Diamond, which were growing over the top of the pergola.  Last year they produced heavily, but the grapes up high developed rot quickly and are not worth the bother.
     March 29th (today):  dormant lime/sulfur spray.  I used a 6 oz to the gallon mixture.   I applied a fairly heavy spray.  Low 40's for temps, no rain predicted for 48 hrs.

Comments:

Some vines look dead, at least one aurore and one of the white seedless varieties.  I've been fooled before, but twigs broke off easily, clearly dead in the parts I broke off.  We also planted 3 Cayuga whites last year, compliments of our daughter and her husband, now living in the Finger Lakes area of upstate NY.  They look good.  I trimmed them back pretty severely and will not expect grapes for a year or two.
After trimming          
I also sprayed our blueberries with the lime/sulfur since we have had fungus problems the last two years with them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment